Skip to content

Rotary Moments from 2011

December 19, 2011

Fellow Rotarians,

This has been an incredible year for our club under the leadership of Bill Boyd and Joe Weiland and every member who stepped up and helped us accomplish the many things we have.

I ask each of you to be Blogle contributors and please use the comments on this post to list one, two or three memorable moments from Rotary in 2011. They can be good moments, bad moments, sweet moments, powerful moments, funny moments or downright ridiculous moments — as long as they mattered to you.

Check back to see what other members have added.

About these ads
6 Comments leave one →
  1. Liz permalink
    December 19, 2011 8:42 AM

1. Helping induct one of my best friends, David Vo, into our club.
    2. Seeing beyond the gates of Hollister Ranch for the first time and frolicking on the beach with Rotary friends.
    3. Attending a Rotary meeting in Brazil and being scolded for not speaking Portuguese.

2. December 19, 2011 8:52 AM

A few special moments of 2011:
    1. Aminu Ahmed’s visit
    2. Sweet Aubane
    3. Hollister Ranch!
    4. Connections to Success
    5. Santa Barbara Club staff
    6. Christmas dogs at the red kettle
    7. Great new members!
    8. El Puente Student of the Month
    9. E.Russell Smith as Local Hero
    10. Rotary friendship

3. December 19, 2011 10:29 AM

I think I speak for everyone when I say that my induction on July 6th of this year is a moment that will forever be etched in our minds as one that brought much joy and laughter to the club.

4. Joe Weiland permalink
    December 19, 2011 2:43 PM

Hmmm…. My 2011 rotary memory…..Given that it has been a bit of a blur I will use- the drive up an back to Hollister Ranch two days in a row with Bill Abel. He is a great guy to go on a road trip with. Particularly if the radio is broken, the is no dead air time with Bill! The other Rotary memory is seeing the size of the convention center in New Orleans. I think that it 10,000-20,000 people sitting in the room that Kaylan Bannerjee address everyone. Amazing!

The two extremes of Rotary, in a group of 20,000 or a car with Bill……both Rotary. I guess that is one of the many things I like about Rotary. It is always different.

5. Dennis and Virginia Johns permalink
    December 20, 2011 6:32 AM

My Rotary moment is the welcoming arms that received us when we unexpectedly returned to SB for five months, waiting out the rainy season in Costa Rica. With our house rented out, we were homeless but with Rotarians and friends of Rotarians, we were hosted every week of our stay. We have returned to Costa Rica, preparing to move on to Panama, Ecuador, and Galapagos and it is still raining (not every day) but I miss Wednesday mornings already. Thank you Sunrisers!

6. Bill Boyd permalink
    December 20, 2011 10:08 PM

All the wonderful support for my year as SB Sunrise President from ALL CLUM MEMBERS. Many thanks for the hillarious Step Down, especially to Bill Abel and Gary Jensen for their creative genius. It was a joy to have my daughter Kathy and granddaughter Brittney there to share in the fun. Another Rotary memory was being home hosted by two Rotarian family’s in Glenwood Springs, Colorado; staying at the lovely homes of Rotarians in Durango and Lake Curacati, CO; and, being graciously hosted by Bill Abel’s sister (a Rotarian) at a lovely B&B in Telluride, CO (managed by the local Rotary Club president). What a joy to be a Rotarian. Finally, a big highlight of this past year is seeing an international water well and fish farming project get funded and get underway at Igbere Secondary High School in southern Nigeria. This all happened as a result of a lovely friend (Lemmy Ijioma) that Sandy and I met last year at the Rotary International Conference in Montreal. Isn’t Rotary grand!