Minutes: The One with Surfer SHAUN TOMSON and the Incoming Board, But Mostly SHAUN TOMSON (04/11/2012)
President Joe Weiland called the meeting to order.
Invocation: Sandy O’Meara
Flag Salute: Steve Kally
Raffle: Steve Mascagno brought wine and a gift certificate for Starbucks. The winner was Bob McPhillips.
Visiting Rotarians: Wend Shaefer from Tahoe, Thierry Percy from Brussels
Guests: Daniel Sotelo, Sara Romanus, Tor Weiland, Jeff Boehm, Shaun Tomson, Steve Schott, Jane Patterson
- Dictionaries- Julie Joy Stilwell requested a location to prep dictionaries. Joe W., Liz W. and David Vo offered their conference tables.
- El Puente Student of the Month – Susan Klein Rothschild presented Daniel Sotelo the student of the month award. This is his second time receiving the honor.
- Running event – Our international committee is supporting an Engineers Without Borders water project. There is a fundraiser for this international project. It’s a run. Please see Janet Napier for more information about the fundraiser. Register for the fun run, which will be at El Capitan State Beach at 11:30 AM on April 14. $40 donation requested.
- New Rotary Board – Presiednt-Elect David Velarde introduced the new board for the upcoming year. Members include: Joe Weiland (Vice President), Betsy Monroe (Secretary), Sandy O’Meara (Treasurer), Susan Klein Rothschild (Community Service), Jill Van Allen (Publicity), Liz Werhane (Club Service), David Vo (Membership), Scott Johnson (Vocational), Delores Johnson (Fundraising), Chris Tucker (New Generations), and Mark Rheinhart (International).
- April 28 – Work Day at Elings Park
- May 12 – Camp Whittier Work Day
- May 21 – Golf tournament. Please bring silent auction items to Andrew Chung.
- Funeral – Bill Abel attended the funeral for Stu, a previous Rotarian. Watch The Blogle for more info in memory of Stu.
Speaker: Shaun Tomson
- Shaun was a professional surfer for many years (Editors note: This is an understatement.)
- Born in South Africa, he’s lived in Santa Barbara for about 17 years
- Today surfing is a $16 billion dollar business
- Surfing offers an incredible connection with nature
- Surfing has taught Shaun the importance of “I will.” These are very powerful words.
- There are many life lessons to be learned through surfing. He created “A Surfer’s Code” for a school group, which grew into many public speeches and a book.
- All of these lessons begin with “I will” and are great metaphors for life: I will take the drop with commitment. I will never fight a riptide. I will always paddle back out. Apply these lessons to your business.