Minutes: The One that Makes You Want to Be an Organ Donor (05/23/12)
Greeters: Jill Van Allen, Gary Jensen
Invocation: Tim Marme
Raffle: Tim Marme brought two bottles of wine, Bill Boyd was the winner
Flag Salute : Judith McCaffery
Visiting Rotarians: Bob Katsev
Guests: Randy Weiss, Desiree Garcia, Victor Garcia, Corey Adam
- El Puente Student of the Month – Desiree Garcia was recognized as the student of the month for May.
- Golf tournament – A great day and a good tournament. There are still some outstanding receivables. Thank you to all who made it a successful day!
- Zoo day – A great turn-out from our club. Joe Weiland was on crutches due to a pinched nerve.
- Sunrise Foundation – An annual meeting will be held in a few weeks. Staggered terms are held by various Rotary members. In two weeks, elections will be held for two vacant positions. Consider if you would be interested in running.
- Mexico trip – Medical supplies were taken down and 19 patients received eye surgeries. Mark also participated in the hands on project.
- Eric and Bob celebrate birthdays this week.
- Lunch Lottery – Next match is Jim Ruh and Andy Doerr
- Condo with 2 suite bedrooms just north of Puerto Vallarta. This is available for auction to raise money for the club. Consider it. Interested? Contact Joanne Schoenfeld Orenstein.
Program: Scott Burns and Randy Weiss present What it Takes to Give or Get a Kidney
- Randy donated one of kidneys to a co-worker. Randy started by giving blood and platelets
- Randy donated a kidney to a 23-year-old employee at the bank. He had to lose 40 pounds before donating. He recovered quickly, and the recipient is now a mother and doing well.
- Giving life is the greatest gift
- Each of us have 2 kidneys, which take care of excess fluids and regulate blood pressure
- Scott has chronic kidney disease, and joined the kidney transplant list this May. He is one of 100,000 people on the waiting list for an organ donor.
- California has a larger percentage of people on the waiting list and a smaller percentage on the donor list
- Over a half million people have irreversible kidney disease
- 28 percent of medical costs are related to kidney disease
- Kidney transplants require a blood match. It is a 4-hour surgery with 2 days in the hospital.
- Sign up as a donor on your drivers license. Confirm your donation status online on the drivers license website. Editor’s note: Californians can register here.